amUSIngArtifacts

History of the L&N Spittoon

*Post written by James Wethington, library assistant of the University Archives and Special Collections.

This spittoon belonged to the Louisville and Nashville Depot, or commonly known as the L&N in Evansville. Spittoons were used for disposing of chewing and dipping tobacco in public places. The L&N was located on the corner of Ohio Street and Fulton Avenue from 1902 till 1985, across from the Mulzer Crushed Stone Company.